Migration FAQs

Migration and Health Requirements and other Recommendations

Important note: TRAVELGENIO offers these recommendations and up-to-date information about migration and health requirements to assist you in planning your trip. We try to keep this information updated at all times. However, it is possible that at a given moment, laws or regulations might have been amended by the relevant authorities and we have not had time to update the site. That is why we ALWAYS recommend that you consult your consulate or the relevant authorities. TRAVELGENIO will not be held responsible for customers’ lack of compliance with travel requirements.

1. What do I need to know before I plan my trip?

Each country or destination has different migration and health regulations. Many countries require a visa to be able to enter the territory, which must be obtained prior to your trip. Also, there are many countries which recommend and/or require vaccinations to avoid contracting illnesses which are typical in these destinations. For the above reasons, we recommend that you pay attention to health and migration requirements in the country or countries which you are going to visit. It is the sole responsibility of the traveller to make sure that all these requirements are fulfilled.

The Ministries of Foreign Affairs (Home Offices) of the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Ireland all recommend that you travel with a valid passport or ID card (where applicable), international driving license and travel health insurance.

If your wish to obtain more information, we recommend visiting the following official sites:

2. Do I need a visa to travel to the U.S.A.?

The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of many countries to travel to the United States of America for tourism or on business for a maximum period of 60 days without needing to obtain a visa. For more information about which countries take part in the VWP, please visit consult your local U.S. Embassy.

List of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions: www.usembassy.gov.

3. Which kind of passport do I need in order to travel to the U.S.A.?

In order to travel to the United States of America, you need to hold a valid passport which corresponds to one of the following categories:

  • Machine-readable passports issued/renewed/extended before 26 October 2005.
  • Machine-readable passports issued/renewed/extended between 26 October 2005 and 25 October 2006, which include a digital photo on the identification page. Holders of these kinds of passports do NOT need to obtain a new one with integrated chip.
  • Machine-readable passports issued/renewed/extended after 26 October 2006 need to have an integrated chip containing the information of the identity page.

Important: Please check with your local U.S. Embassy if your passport is valid for travel without Visa or if special conditions apply.

List of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions: www.usembassy.gov

4. What is a machine-readable passport?

A machine-readable passport is a passport in which the identity page is encoded in optical character recognition format according to international regulations. The size of the passport and the passport photo, and the distribution of the information contained in the passport (more specifically, the two lines in the machine-readable area) adhere to the protocol of the International Civil Aviation Organization, document 9303, part 1, machine-readable passports. If you have any questions regarding your passport, please contact your passport issuer or the relevant authorities in your country of citizenship.

5. What else do I need to do before my trip to the U.S.A.?

Since 12 January 2009, in order to be able to travel to the United States of America from any of the countries included in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which includes Great Britain (full British citizens only) and Ireland, it is necessary to complete an online travel authorization form at least 72 hours before departure. This authorization, which replaces the traditional Green Card that used to be handed out on board the plane before landing on U.S. territory, may be applied for on the following website, https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.

In case of additional questions and to get further information, please contact the U.S. consulate or embassy in your country.

U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions: www.usembassy.gov.

6. Is it necessary to buy travel insurance?

It is recommended that you buy travel insurance. It is always better to be covered in case any problems arise during your trip. Falling ill or having an accident in another country is not a lot of fun. Therefore, we recommend that you have medical insurance at all times during your trip.